9 March, 2020
Lime / Lemon PicklePosted in : Recipes on by : Ishara Pillay Tags: lemon, lime, vinegar
A very special episode… Ishara Pillay joins Reena and shows us how to make lime pickle. Ishara is a cancer survivor and an inspiration. Enjoy.
|Limes or Lemons
- Wash the limes and cut to your desired size.
- Heat the vinegar in a pot.
- Once the vinegar heats up, add the lime. Use enough vinegar to cover the limes.
- Add coarse salt. (A good amount) This process will cook the limes while the vinegar preserves them.
- Allow the limes to cook for a while and turn it frequently to avoid over cooking. If it is overcooked it will be very soft and break.
- Once cooked, transfer the limes from the pot to a mixing bowl.
- The limes are now ready for the spices to be added. Add the pickle masala and crushed chili according to your preference.
- Stir in the spices for it to be evenly distributed.
- Add fine salt and sugar as required. The sugar is added to remove the bitterness from the lime.
- Taste the mixture and add the spices according to your preference.
- Once ready, put the pickle in a jar. The pickle will be ready in a week as the spices need to be absorbed into the lime.