11 October, 2018
Mealie Rice Kitcheri with Dry Fish and Boiled Eggs Recipe
|½ cup boiled Pea dhall||1 cup mealie rice|
|1tblsp oil||3 dry chilies|
|2 onion||3 cinnamon sticks|
|½ tsp mustard seeds||½ tsp jeera|
|8 tomatoes||6 green chilies|
|¼ tsp turmeric powder||9 small round tomatoes|
|1 small piece dry fish||1tsp ginger garlic paste|
|3 boiled egg||curry leaf|
Preparing the Kitcheri
- In a pot add 1 tablespoon of oil and allow it to heat up.
- Add the following thereafter:
- 3 dry chilies
- 3 cinnamon sticks
- 1 sliced onion
- ½ teaspoon mustard seeds
- ½ teaspoon jeera
- 1 cut tomato
- Let it braise for a while then add curry leaf and boiled dhall.
- Wash mealie rice and add to the above dhall mixture. Let it boil until it’s a little soft then remove from the stove.
- Soak the dried fish in hot water to remove excess salt.
- In a pot, add a little oil and fry the dry fish until it browns a little.
- Add 1 onion & 6 green chilies. Allow it to fry for a bit until it browns a little.
- Add ¼ teaspoon of turmeric powder.
- Add 8 sliced tomato and a 1 teaspoon of ginger & garlic paste.
- Let it cook for a while until the tomatoes are melted. Thereafter add the curry leaves and dhania.
- Add 3 boiled eggs to the chutney.
Serve and enjoy!
Born on the 4th December 1946 in the humble suburbs of Barracks, Mount Edgecombe. Due to both of her parents passing on, she had to start cooking at the tender age of 10. Her first meal that she cooked was lettuce with egg. She later married at the age of 16 and had 5 children. She has cooked for over 300 functions and her signatory meal is the traditional mutton breyani.