23 November, 2019
Aunty Sally Govender joins Reena and shows us how to make scones. An easy recipe with no kneading required. The end product is light and fluffy.
Ingredients (Per 12 Scones)
|2 teaspoons||Baking powder|
|250g (1 cup)||Sugar|
|2||Eggs (One for the egg-wash & the other for the mixture)|
|250g||Margarine (or butter)|
- Cookie Cutter
- Wooden Spoon
- Sift the flour and baking powder into a large bowl.
- Add the margarine and mix it thoroughly.
- Combine the sour milk and egg, mix it then add it to the dough.
- Mix everything thoroughly and add more sour milk if the dough is too thick.
- Sprinkle flour onto a pastry board before placing the dough on it. Sprinkle flour onto the dough and on the cookie cutter.
- Pat the dough down a bit to the desired thickness. There’s is no need to knead the dough.
- Use the cookie cutter to cut out pieces and place them on a baking tray. Ensure that the tray has been prepared with spray & cook or sprinkle flour to prevent sticking.
- Apply the egg wash with the brush to the top of the scones.
- Bake for 20 minutes at 180 degrees Celcius.
- Add jam, whip cream or cheese according to your preference once the scones are cool.
My motto when cooking:
“I’ll never attempt cooking if I’m angry or sad… It shows in my food!”